Monday, March 3, 2014

#8. Mile Race

Monday March 3rd

Week 2/16

Here is the Unprepared Mile Race Video, ENJOY!

    This week has not gone as planned already, but no worries. Woke up Sunday to being snowed in. Granted, had I woken before 2pm, I may have been able to get my long run in. I'll maneuver my long run in here in a day or so. My original plan was another 100 mile week, but with the most recent storm, I am lowering my week plans to 80 miles. In 6 days of running that's close to a 100 mile full week. It all depends on the snow. I can only take so much slipping and sliding and I'm pretty sure I crossed that threshold a week or so ago. I have a very good feeling that you all will hear my harsh rant on everything I hate about treadmills and nothing I like about treadmills in the coming days. After the mile race I swallowed another Pizza Al's pizza and hit downtown for the night with some friends. I ran into probably the only dozen high school classmates I'd want to run into and the night turned out to be a lot of fun which isn't too common with downtown life. Hence, waking up at 2pm. Highlight of Saturday, aside from drawing blood on the track, was running a pool table for a good five or six games with my friend Jordan. It was a highlight because we suck at pool. Billiards is a cooler name, not sure why anyone calls it pool. Billiards sounds so official; sophisticated. Now I prefer pool over billiards.

    In place of running Sunday I had a crazy busy day in and around the house... Josh and I took Cadence the Corgi   on a hike through the thick woods behind the house. And we learned a thing or two about extremely local geography. From there I whipped open my first ever set of Legos and began building the Delorean. After an hour or so I thought it was completed, but I messed up somewhere. I'd say a quarter of the way through I noticed that my car didn't look 100% like the picture for that step, but thought 'eh, you won't be able to tell the difference in the end'. Well being a Lego newbie and really lazy, I didn't think that I wouldn't be able to fully finish the car without doing every step perfectly. I am convinced that the one small thing I skipped was the only imperative piece to the entire set. I took a short cut to get to the finish faster which in the end caused me to take it all apart and I will try it again on another slow day. I love irony. Especially when I'm the one not benefiting from it. Sometimes I just wanna sock me.

   From there I took a few minutes to piece together the video above and watched my fantasy hockey team struggle all day. Sounds like the day of fun is coming to a close? NOPE! I happened to remember that Netflix finally put the original Pokemon Indigo League up for me; no one else. I prayed to the Netflix gods the night before that happened, no shit. I had began re-watching the series via YouTube and that was extremely annoying. Then I saw the dvds online for sale and I almost broke down and bought them because I needed to watch them again so bad. In desperation I reached out to the Netflix gods, unaware of their existence, and by Netflix gods, they came through. I can now catch the first 52 pokemon episodes on Netflix. Let the snow continue to fall! With the most recent addition to my beliefs, I shall list and briefly describe the Gods that I believe in.

River Gods: Up the road in Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania (weird name, right?) the Yough River runs along my favorite stretch of rail trails and through Ohiopyle which is the coolest little town in the area. My junior year of high school track was coming to an end and I was on my last long run with a group of local high school runners and a few miles in a had the sharpest pain I've had to this day in my shin. One week til state and I was going to get hurt. I cut the run way short and went and soaked in the freezing river and talked to the river. The river serves as our ice baths because it's always cold and I forget why, but I linked the wiki page to the river in the first sentence of this paragraph if you care to learn a thing or two. Anyways, come out of the river and can't feel anything for ten or so minutes. Never felt the pain again. I had been spared by the river.

Video Game Gods:  From making you shoot rubber bullets in Call of Duty after rage quitting to making it impossible for the computer not to make a comeback in NBA 2k, there are dozens of gods in the video game world. Too many to explain in detail so I will just shotgun the first view that come to mind. Call of Duty Goddess- she is a fair, yet brutal Goddess. If you can save a downed friend playing zombies but claim you can't because you want more points or that person is being stupid, you will be eaten by zombies; rightfully so you bad teammate. If you wine openly over the mic for me to hear through my television louder than my music, you will get continue to suck and eventually quit; rightfully so. And if you go around stealing kills, you will get something stolen in real life; rightfully so. Those are the ways of the Goddess; been that way since Call of Duty 4. Sport gods: in every sporting game, especially when playing a guest, the game will do its best to make the game as close as they can. Whether it is letting the opposing goalie make phantom saves, home runs all suddenly land fifty feet shorter, putting a lid on the basket, or convincing you to make stupid play calls up three touchdowns: everyone always blows leads in sporting video games because of the Sport God. The most irritating pathogen is the rule that ensures the one talking trash always gets embarrassed in due time. That pathogen would be awesome if I didn't constantly run my mouth. Sidenote- I have discovered through years of gaming that I trash talk unconsciously. On several occasions when asked about what I just said I won't recall talking; just kind of comes out. Fallout Gods: Me. I am God in the world of Fallout.

Thor, God of Thunder: Sure people know of this god more so than my other gods, but Thor is just as real as all my other gods. Which is very real, to clarify. Thor first reached out to me when I was nine or ten and testing the will of my Video Game Gods, but I had to leave to go stand around on a baseball field for a few hours. I slapped by hammer like control down and said 'why can't it just rain!' For anyone unfamiliar with the world of baseball; it is hilarious. Sure enough, Thor brought down rain with his thunder and the season was postponed. Chances are that was the day I discovered VGG as well. Two gods in one day? I must have slept great that night. Most recent interaction was driving from paradise to Morgantown last month. Storm Charlie Murphy or something hilarious blowing in through Georgia and South Carolina and was supposed to hit right when we were driving. And snow for those states, and West Virginia, is like a book. No idea what to do once it arrives. The weather dropped to mid twenties and the clouds were brewin. I had to keep vocally asking Thor to hold of the Frost Giants from freezing over the south. It was a hard pitch because Thor and myself both didn't like those states and couldn't open the door fast enough for the Frost Giants to come in and wreck their world. But, Thor couldn't strand his favorite archbishop in the south; I'd never survive. Those two states got wrecked by the Frost Giants shortly after we made it north of there. How can you not look to the sky for that one. It has been a common story told both here and in Asgard.

These are my gods. I also believe in mythical beings: Unicorns, Marshdawg, Tank, Conor Oberst, as well as demonic beings: people who drive slowly in the left lane, people who don't know their left from their right, succubuses, people who yell out of cars, or people that do not say small medium or large at starbucks. If you seen anyone doing any of these things be careful! They are demons sent to Earth to annoy me. On a later date I will share other passages. By the time I die, I plan to have an entire book of my beliefs written out. I would finish it before then, but I'm sure I will start to believe more things in the coming years. How anyone already has everything written out perfectly for them in a book is nothing short of a miracle.

Oh yeah, this is sort of a running log. Right.

Digem's House (Fairmont)
10 miles 75 minutes

Treadmill run. I'm testing out the whole nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. My music selection was very solid. That is all. Time for Minnesota v Calgary!
 

2 comments:

  1. Great posts. Had to catch up after reading an update through twitter.
    Reading this post on the supernatural prompted memories of a guardian angel that watches over me, that of #3 himself: Dale Earnhardt.
    During my travels from St. Marys along Route 2 to Wheeling, I like to drive as if I am racing Hitler along the Autobahn. In order to preserve America's freedom, I do anything possible to ensure that I am driving at least 20 mph above the speed limit. Unfortunately, the Gestapo of Sistersville always try to thwart my efforts.
    Thankfully, the ghost of Dale Earnhardt has eyes like a bald eagle seeking injustice. I get a quick feeling of imminent threat thanks to the ghost, a warning that rings out in my mind as loud as the Liberty Bell. This sense allows me to slow down just enough to avoid danger. To this day, I have yet to be pulled over while speeding, even when meeting the police head on.

    Thank you Dale. God bless America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing and most likely due to your faith in Dale. If you do get pulled over, I'd recommend hopping the bridge and taking Route 7 to Wheeling. I personally think it's more scenic. That doesn't make it scenic though.

    Fun Fact- the last Nascar race I ever watched was his last one. I plan on being able to always say that, too.

    ReplyDelete